An actor must interpret life, and in order to do so must be willing to accept all the experiences life has to offer. In fact, he must seek out more of life than life puts at his feet.
Being a good actor isn’t easy. Being a man is even harder. I want to be both before I’m done.
Being an actor is the loneliest thing in the world. You are all alone with your concentration and imagination, and that’s all you have.
But you can’t show some far off idyllic conception of behavior if you want the kids to come and see the picture. You’ve got to show what it’s really like, and try to reach them on their own grounds.
Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.
I also became close to nature, and am now able to appreciate the beauty with which this world is endowed.
I think the one thing this picture shows that’s new is the psychological disproportion of the kids’ demands on the parents. Parents are often at fault, but the kids have some work to do, too.
I want to be a Texan 24 hours a day.
If a man can bridge the gap between life and death, if he can live on after he’s dead, then maybe he was a great man.
Only the gentle are ever really strong.
Studying cows, pigs and chickens can help an actor develop his character. There are a lot of things I learned from animals. One was that they couldn’t hiss or boo me.
The gratification comes in the doing, not in the results.
The only greatness for man is immortality.
There is no way to be truly great in this world. We are all impaled on the crook of conditioning.
To grasp the full significance of life is the actor’s duty; to interpret it his problem; and to express it his dedication.
To me, acting is the most logical way for people’s neuroses to manifest themselves, in this great need we all have to express ourselves.
To my way of thinking, an actor’s course is set even before he’s out of the cradle.
Trust and belief are two prime considerations. You must not allow yourself to be opinionated.
When an actor plays a scene exactly the way a director orders, it isn’t acting. It’s following instructions. Anyone with the physical qualifications can do that.
Date of Birth
Date of Death
James Byron Dean
5′ 8″ (1.73 m)
Each year, in Fairmount, Indiana, fans from around the world join together to celebrate the legend of James Dean.
Browse websites that fans have created as tributes to James Dean.
- James Byron Dean: Fairmount, Indiana – The Historical Museum of Fairmount, James Dean’s hometown, offers a biography, memorabilia, and information about the annual James Dean Festival, including the James Dean Run.
- American Legends’ James Dean Page – American Legends offers interesting articles, photos, and news, and gives you a chance to orderThe James Dean Story.
- Lost Performances of James Dean – Collector Bob Rees has a great selection of little known James Dean performances and will sell you a copy or trade for something he doesn’t have.
- Meredy’s James Dean Trivia Mania – Two dozen plus one tough questions for Dean fans.
- James Dean, Superstar – Filmography, biography, and images.
- James Dean’s Last Shows – From TVParty.com.
- James Dean New York 1954 – From Barany Artists, here’s a portfolio of 15 of Roy Schatt’s famed James Dean photographs, including details about the images and how they can be purchased from Roy’s widow, Elaine Schatt.